3 things a dive shop never sells and what IS the best equipment?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on January 01, 2002 at 22:50:16:

In Reply to: Also.. is titanium on a reg... good/bad/or ugly? :) posted by Newbie on December 31, 2001 at 23:33:14:

There are 3 things a reputable dive shop should never sell to an uncertified individual:
1) Air fills
2) Tanks
3) Regulators (1st & 2nd stages)

The rest of the supplies in a dive should be and are available to sell to anyone. THough much of the stuff is unnecessary for an uncertified person.

Now, as to the question of what is "the best". Here's what I tell my students; When buying dive equipment the number one most important factor is fit and comfort. If it doesn't fit it's garbage, if it's not comfortable it's garbage. I don't care the brand I don't care the quality I don't care the price, I don't care the "features". If it doesn't fit YOU it's will make your diving experience unpleasant. If it's not comfortable to YOU it will make your diving experience unpleasant.

In todays market any piece of equipment from a reputable manufacturer is sufficient for the average sport diver. When looking at one piece of equipment over another (and assuming both fit you and are comfortable) you need to look at what are you getting for the extra dollars spent. Remember, a sales guy in a store will try to sell you the most expensive thing he / she sells. Is titanium better than brass (most 1st stages are nickel coated brass)? Well, what are you using it for? Sport diving in warm water to ~60'? Than the "old" style are perfectly good. With proper care a reputable 1st stage will last easily 20 years. However, if you're doing mixed gas cave penetration in extreme cold (ice diving) than that "standard" 1st stage probably isn't going to give you the safety and performance you're looking for.

As for equipment purchase prior to your class. Purchase a mask, snorkle, fins, boots and gloves. Purchase them from a reputable dealer (the shop you're taking the class from) and ask lots of questions. Often, shop's will stock the gear they sell in the rental department. Rent a few items and try them out. It is especially important to get a mask that fits properly. Telling your salemen you want fins for SCUBA (and the locations you will SCUBA most often) will allow them to help you select the specific type for you. As with everything else, fit and comfort are more important than price or features.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]