thanks seahunt

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 02, 2002 at 20:47:48:

In Reply to: Arrr Matie... posted by seahunt on January 02, 2002 at 16:09:06:

i hope you have a great new year also! I have been bumped a few times by playful sea lions, but what i find a little disconcerting is being stalked by a lone male seal. One day a couple of years ago, i was able to get way back into that little horseshoe shaped cove at China Point proper, San Clemente island. After a few minutes, i began to notice this seal following me. I just ignored him, but as time passed, it was clear that he was showing far too much interest in me. I was about a 100 yards away from the skiff so i started my way back. That seal shadowed me the entire time, never getting more than 10feet away. When i moved, he moved, when i stopped, he stopped and stared. He would swim thru the exact places that i swam thru. On one occasion, i took my eyes off him and he snagged my fin just as i reached the surface. Another time i lost sight of him at the surface and when i turned around, he was directly in my face. He was a mature male and there were a few females in his cove, so he was just being protective. I am sure that the stalking thing is a common behavior because it has happened to me since, but without the intensity.

There was another encounter at SCI where i made the mistake of doing a summersault for one very inquisitive little seal. From that instant on, every dive down he would do a summersault and compell me to return the favor! We were litterally playing in cooperation with one another. That was the first and only time that my film didn't catch when i loaded my camera (AARRGGGG!) Anyway they are delightful creatures and we are fortunate to have them in our waters.

Here is a pic of one i took at SCI last summer. This big fellow followed me around also. He is standing in the grotto that i just swam thru.

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=9723

Brad

(loves the sea)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]