Re: Risks of diving with family

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Finfan on January 03, 2002 at 18:01:29:

In Reply to: Risks of diving with family posted by Wayne on January 03, 2002 at 17:20:29:

Some good arguments, many of which I would not argue and it is clear to see you have a great amount of confidence in your children's ability.

It's clear you have considered the risks and do what you can to minimize them. I hope you never come into a diving situation that you haven't been able to control/minimize the risk and your forced to test their skills (let's hope no one does).

I have an 8 year old that is an "aqua" person too. She believes she should be allowed to learn and as you have done, I reserve the right to decide what age she will be allowed. Unfortunately for her it will not be 10 or anywhere near 10. It's not that I don't have any faith in her, but faith won't move mountains, nor will it drag me up a beach, pull me against a current or stop me from over-reacting in a panic situation.

I have only two reasons why she will wait until she is 16 (I'm sure what will seem like an eternity to her) first - I could never live with myself or my wife(accident or not) if anything did happen and second - I would never want her to believe she was the reason or part of something happening to me.

To me, I'm willing to forgo 6 additional years of diving with her for a little more confidence in her skillset (should she have to use them). As I said before, I certainly respect your right to the decision you have made and I'm not hear to tell you that it is wrong only that I disagree with it.

May you and you family have many years of happy diving! Look for us in 8 years - We will be the father daughter buddy team, until then it's just me and my wife.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]