the team versus the holy grail

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl S. on January 11, 2002 at 14:15:13:

In Reply to: Team diving: from a pig's POV posted by AADIVER on January 10, 2002 at 19:53:54:

pushing team diving protocols onto everyone for the sake of some holy grail like zero diving accidents is an expensive and impractical way to get famous or notorious as the case may be.

team diving happens when several divers want or need to get together to do something in particular.

my team is usually me and my pony bottle. if i add a buddy to that team its because he or she and i had a mutual goal underwater, like taking a look at a beautiful rocky reef. this is more of an issue of friendship or love and not diving dependence.

it would take a bigger team to go down a couple of hundred fsw and check out a wreck. in that case everyone is in the same boat, so to speak, and depends on each other for their very survival in a hostile innerspace environment. then it becomes a valid issue as to whether they all will wear the same kind of halcyon equipment or not. then it depends on what the other members of the team think about it, not just what one notoriously good diving guru in the Seattle area has come to believe.

when Joe and Sally Resort Diver sign up with YMCA or NAUI or PADI or SSI etc to become scuba certified, they are just looking for a good time, not to become a diving ubermensch overnight.

having said all that, Frank, its good to read about JJs stuff and even take a class or two, without getting all hung up that the sky is falling if you dont dot all your i's the same way as JJ does.

have fun diving. see you out there someday.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]