a credibility gap opened.....

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjbrennan1 on January 11, 2002 at 23:00:17:

In Reply to: Poll: GLinSD on BBS, in or out posted by seahunt on January 11, 2002 at 08:31:24:

This forum lost a lot of respect when MHK was banned while others who gave truly false or dangerous information (SS backplates and Pyle stops are dangerous, DIR is a marketing scheme..even if it were, it is not failing) or threatening people "i hope to meet you on a beach with a pole-spear" were allowed to remain. MHK's tact may be found wanting but other equally offensive things seemed to skate by underneath the radar of the rules.....and it didn't look good.

It has been my observation that free and open forums tend to deteriorate into anarchic, juvenile free-for-alls. This is mildly entertaining at first, but soon grows tiresome (and i ain't innocent in this crime either). Look at the RSD board. That place has at times, been 80% flames, profanity, scatological humor and only 20% actual info (and even then, it's mostly Florida stuff which doesn't interest this kelp-diver). Look at this BBS early on, in the first few archives before someone's inability to post tactfully started the downhill spiral. Then look at www.scubaboard.com. That place is moderated, yet highly informative (as much as the internet can be) and very civilized. Give Sergio's forum another few months and it will follow the path of this BBS; 'tis human nature it seems.

It may be time to just call a spade a spade and declare this to be a moderated board. With 600+ unique viewers each day here, we owe it to all the possible newbies among them to clearly dissemnate reliable information and informed opinion about deep stops, penetrating the Yukon, non-ditchable weight, team diving and redundant air sources etc. There will be disagreements but while MHK may alienate people with his lack of decorum, Kendall Raine, Terry May, John Walker and MadDiver can skillfully and tactfully represent the DIR viewpoint without the crass verbage. Chris and Seahunt have been very slow to anger, and they've both shown far more class than i would have in their position. Wayne epitomizes stability and intelligent discourse. Jim Hoffman gives excellent information on historical perspective, gear and other procedures. Dwin, Maciek, Chris...everyone who gives a trip report does the forum a service (especially if i'm going there the next day ;-) The problems on this BBS have historically rested with four individuals. We can have a viable forum without the words "dork", "stroke", "DIR-nazi", "moron", "tree-hugger" or the word "stupid" punctuating every other paragraph. Hey, i've been tempted to flame Steve or Karl every now and then when i disagree with them but the thoughtful selection of words changes a flaming jeremiad into a polite offering of alternative viewpoint.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]