Re: Wonderful Feedback

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by finfan on January 23, 2002 at 15:30:06:

In Reply to: Re: Wonderful Feedback posted by Chris on January 23, 2002 at 13:26:18:

I agree at this point we need some closures and reduce take. That said, I think we are still kidding ourselves by thinking that closures and reduced take alone (full or partial)will have any longterm effect without a serious look at restructuring the DFG and bringing in someone in that department that understands the meaning of the words "resource management." Their existing management concept and approach needs a fresh look. They manage all of the resources as if they are content with maintaining status quo and under a best conditions scenario. If they really had any effective management and take programs then we constantly would not be barragged with emergency closures caused by "near extinction." (abalone, rock cod, lingcod, seabass)The list is long but distinguished!

Case in point - ever since I was diving the lobster limit has been 7 at 3 1/4 inches. Why not start now at a reduction to 5, stay at 3 1/4 inches for recreational, but raise the comercial up to 3 1/2 inches. Could anyone argue that what we see in terms of size and quantities along the coast is not what we used to see some 10 years ago. When I brought that concept up to a F&G representative they said there was no need to change because the commercial take is constant (within a few thousands tons)year in and year out. If nothing changes, I would bet you within my lifetime, we will be at some meeting calling for the immediate closure of lobstering south of Monterey. At that same time the limit will be 7 @ 3 1/4 inches. It's cast in stone! This department works on the principle that consistency is good and improvement is bad. Then one day they wake up and find out that a consistent reduction in overall population year in and year out equates to "near extinction."

Meanwhile the divers, the fishermen, the commercials, the recreationals, the photo's and the extremists will still be pointing the finger at one another. Only by then it will probably be the middle finger!

We are so scr*wed!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]