Allow me to introduce my friend

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on January 24, 2002 at 20:27:06:

In Reply to: Moray Eels posted by seahunt on January 24, 2002 at 13:54:36:

I have been visiting this same eel since 98'. He has a strange hook to his bottom jaw so i know it's him. This picture shows his sheer delight at recieving a live squid! For the first couple of years, he would never come all the way out, but ever since those squid, he comes out when i call him. When he takes a squid or sardine from my hand, he is VERY careful to not touch my glove.

I go down to his grotto and make a noise and go back for another breath. Most of the time he is there on the second dive. A couple of years ago, he used to have 3 friends with him, but they didn't stay long. I used to visit another one that had a couple dozen burgandy kelp crabs living right in his grotto with him. That one is no longer there.

It has been my experience that where you find a moray, you will see a lot of other critters, they seem to attract other life into their grottos. My buddy has a big ab that has been there for a few years and there is always several lobster, fish and a cuke or two as well.

Meet my buddy!

http://www.loveofsea.com/images/eel8.JPG

Brad

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]