Re: Reality and theory

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on January 28, 2002 at 09:05:34:

In Reply to: Re: Trimix and/or rebreather instruction, an OSHA violation? posted by Ken Kurtis on January 27, 2002 at 18:15:38:

Ken;

I won't for a minute dispute your interpretation. It may be theoretically correct, for all I know.

However, there have been several training accidents involving trimix instruction, including fatalities. The one's of which I'm aware have been in Florida. I'm also aware of fatalities to dive boat "crew" while diving trimix. I'm unaware of any involvement by OSHA, either with respect to the instructors involved or to the question of instruction for non-air diving. I'm unaware that OSHA looked at the "crew" death.

In the salvage of El Cazador in 1995, OSHA did end up halting the salvors after they held a press conference and rubbed their non-OSHA compliant adventure in the nose of the ADC. A year later on the Brother Jonathan salvage, OSHA did not get involved despite all the punch up in court between DSR and the State of California.

I suppose if someone were to ask or insist that OSHA look into the question they might be forced to render clarification on their position. Short of someone whining about it, intuition suggests OSHA is too busy tending to more pedestrian forms of work place safety.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]