The Island of the Blue Dolphins

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on February 06, 2002 at 19:32:20:

Took the good skiff back to the Isle of the Blue Dolphins last Friday morning. The conditions were the best i have seen there in quite some time, 50ft vis, no swell and little wind. There were the host of usual characters milling around and simply being spectacular in their own right. During one dive i came across a perfect rock lying in a conspicuous place and i brought it home as a gift for my Janeen. I believe it was a tool disguarded by an otter, she loves it. Sunday morning i actually saw an otter, he look at me incredulously, then split!

The weather was perfect for the two nights. On the second night, i slept just off a beach that had many elephant seals. I was watching them carefully as i passed the time between dives in the late afternoon. Their blubber is fluid, like water. When they want to move about, they lift their tail and send a roll of blubber from their tail to their shoulder. They actually volley that wave of blubber back and forth, exploiting the forward momentun to undulate across the sand. They are truly fascinating creatures!

There were many sea lions playing in the water. They are so sweet on each other! I saw one staring straight at me, she tilted her head and accepted a 'kiss' from another one without taking her eyes off me. They love to press their noses against each others face. I have to interpret that as a gesture of affection. They are absolutely delightful!

Saturday night was warm and dry, crystal clear. I was fortunate enough to ride an off shore flow all the way there, and an onshore flow all the way back to safe harbor yet one more time...

Here is a picture of a rockfish inside a shipwreck:

http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=11706

Brad

(loves the sea)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]