Re: Everyone seems to want to push responsibility to others

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI Diver on February 08, 2002 at 15:41:15:

In Reply to: Re: Everyone seems to want to push responsibility to others posted by Kendall Raine on February 08, 2002 at 15:20:53:

Kendal,
You are right on the money with you assesment of current Doria trips.

I did the Dive last July. The boat and the charter will remain nameless.

My experience was and impression is that the Doria has become more of a money maker for some shops and a bragging rights dive for some divers.

I trained for a year for this dive, it was my first trip and I have no problem Admitting it was a humbling experience. The swell was big, the current was at least 1 know maybe more almost all the way to the wreck, it let up a little on the wreck but was coming from a different direction.

We had at best 10ft vis, and it was cold. I have been diving for well over 20 years and I can tell you that when I hit the side on my first dive the stress level was high, as in I am not losing sight of the up-line.

It seemed that a lot, read, most of the other divers on the trip had very little experience and were there to do just what you said, touch the side and I’m out of here.

My actual impression was that the divers who were there were there so that the shop running the trip made some money and got some free spots on the trip. Also the boat operator did not hide the fact the you were on your own, they were there for the transportation and the diving that’s it.

Bottom line is why people with little diving experience would want to spend that kind of money to go see basicaly nothing is beyond me.

I swore that was my first and last trip, but now I am looking to go back but with a better charter.

DW

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]