Deer Creek

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tommy on March 04, 2002 at 14:35:24:

I dove Deer Creek last Sat. afternnon about 3 pm. The vis. was excelent at times (between surges). I was yet again in pursuit of a halibut. It's been the old "leave your gun at home" and you see em kinda thing for me. Seems like when I'm just hunting bugs and have no gun I always run into a nice flatty or two.
I entered the water and headed south. I went about 20 yards when I heard someone yell "whatcha huntin for"? I looked up and saw Frank,
He seems to always be around the dive site from Oxnard to Zuma. I answered him and he said that he was looking for a halibut but had seen none. He headed in and I resumed my dive. I saw several legal bugs but they were pretty far back in their holes and impossible to get at while holding my spear gun. After about 2 hours of diving and exploring I got to a place where the surge was starting to clear and I caught the outline of his head in the sand. I took a doubletake to make sure it wasn't a ray barried there. The water cleared and I got a good look of the outline of his head and body. He was about 12 feet away. I just pointed and shot. He started taking line and when he stopped I swam to him realing in the excess. This went on for 25 minutes when I finally got to shore and pulled him in. Wow what a beauty! I am so happy after making several trips to get a halibut I finally got one. I took him home and measured him at 31 inches. I'm not sure how much he weighed but maybe someone can tell me by his length? I think that I saw a web page where you could find the weight of a particular fish by how long it is. Any way I think that I will go back this week and see if I can catch a bug or two before the season ends.....Hope to meet someone from here out there! Happy Trails

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]