Re: Info

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on March 17, 2002 at 19:44:59:

In Reply to: Re: New Divers Looking for Info posted by Scott on March 17, 2002 at 19:19:16:

Some of the best diving, such as San Clemente and San Miguel Islands requires longer boat rides, but as a newbie I would start with Catalina or Anacapa.
You could also go to Monterey where the boat rides are very short.
The fist thing you will need for California diving is a GOOD wetsuit, al least 6.5mm.
My girlfriend and I both dive with three piece (farmer john, hooded vest, and jacket) custom wetsuits from AquaFlite (AquaFlite.com), but there are other good ones as well.
When I first met her she was like you, newly certified in the Caribbean.
Her first California dive experience with an ill-fitting rental wetsuit almost swore her off of diving here, but once I got her a custom suit she loved it.

For destinations I would choose a boat from San Pedro or Long Beach to go to Catalina, or one out of Ventura for Anacapa. All-inclusive trips with food and air fills are the best deal, and much easier than hauling gear to the island.
My personal preference of the good boats are the Great Escape (DiveBoat.com) out of San Pedro to go to Catalina, or the Peace (PeaceBoat.com) out of Ventura for Anacapa.
Most boats require you to bring your own gear.
Ventura Dive & Sport will put tanks on the Ventura boats for you if you call them.
The Great Escape can arrange for tanks if call a week or more in advance.
If you choose to go with a charter group, call them and they may be able to accommodate you.
If you try Monterey, the Monterey Express is a great boat for beginners to the area.

My last comment is go for it …. You'll love it!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]