Re: Team Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Katryna on March 22, 2002 at 20:03:27:

In Reply to: Team Diving posted by Jim Hoffmann on January 07, 2002 at 12:08:31:

WOW. I just read most of this thread and it gave me a lot to think about. As a newly certified diver, I not only realized how important it is to confirm and agree, before the dive with my dive buddy, the procedues if either for any reason wants or needs to terminate the dive, but I also realize how important it is to know my consumption rates at various levels and situations.
I currently check my air levels probably every 2-3 minutes -- due to my inexperience and to 'play it safe' (I'd much rather overcheck than undercheck). In training, I can only recall being told to return to the boat or 'safety' with 500 psi. However that doesn't tell me really when its time to turn back. Since there isn't an exact science to it (like start your return halfway through your tank) I frequently return with 1000-1200 psi left. I guess through continued diving and experince I will learn not only my personal consumption rates but also how to better utilize the majority of my tank safely and efficently.
My instructor did turn off my air once during training and required me to do a emergency boyancy ascent. This was a very good exercise and one I will always remember. For one, my weight belt had worked its way under my BC belt and it took me several extra precious seconds to unload it. 2) It was unsettling to know what ooa felt like. A situation I never want to repeat.

When I read the article I wondered to myself how could a newly certified diver not remember how to do an emergency boyancy ascent or emergency swimming ascent and to orally inflate his BC. It is very sad.

An area of advice I could use some input on is this: I do not have a regular dive buddy. I try to dive when people I know are going but this is not always the case. So I frequently ask people that are diving that I do not know. I specifically inquiry how long and how deep they are planning to dive, and their dive objective. I make sure this is agreeable for me. I also go over the complete buddy check to ensure I understand their equipment and vice versa. I will NOW make sure I confirm lost buddy procedures, and dive termination. Is there anything else you can advise me of to make my dives safer? The environment I dive in is pretty hostile -- Monterey, CA. Right now I will only go between 30-40 feet depth because that is my current comfort level and I feel that I can safely manage that depth regardless of buddy assistance or not. Any other safety or education suggestions from you pros? I will be completing AOW in 2 months and will continue to build on my knowledge and experience.
I want to have a long, and uneventful lifetime of diving experiences. Any advice you give is welcome.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]