Dive report - Catalina on Sunday - Small can be fun

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by KevinH.2O on April 03, 2002 at 11:18:30:

Catalina on Sunday - Small can be fun

Wish I'd paid better attention to exactly where I was. Somewhere about midway between Avalon and Isthmus. Was cruising the coast on the way back to Marina Del Rey looking for a couple spots that have been real winners this winter.

On a lark I headed for a little patch of kelp (maybe 55-60 ft. wide) that sat up against a rocky wall near a couple of sandy beaches. Sandy blue bottom to the right and left of this tiny spot, but appeared to be some structure beneath the kelp.

I figured this wasn't exactly a major dive spot. More than two people would get claustrophobic in this place it was so small. I took a chance and got in. Good choice.

This little reef was full of life. The whole dive was in 8 to 28 feet of water so I was down for more than an hour on an 80cf tank. Lobsters galore, three little horn sharks, a seal, and my favorite surprise encounter was with a big moray eel. I was cruising along a jumbled pile of rocks that formed a wall and looked up to find myself a couple feet away and eye-to-beady-eye with a moray who's head was as big as my fist and with a body as thick as my arm. Couldn't see more than a foot of him, but I suspect he was 6-7 feet.

I backed up a bit to get my little digital camera ready, then cruised back to his hiding hole. Looking, looking, looking, for this mean looking giant. He wasn't there… damn.

Finally gave up and resumed looking around only to discover the sneaky eel had decided to pop out of a different hole - less than two feet directly below my face. That got my attention fast. :-0

I spent the next ten minutes photographing this menacing looking critter. Fed him an unlucky sea urchin to keep his attention while I hung out and marveled.

It was a wonderful day diving at the world's smallest reef. Cold water - about 54; sunny sky; calm sea; 40+ ft. vis; and lots of life.

Never got out in March, conditions looked lousy. So, I was in NEED of a good soaking and I got it.

Thanks to all the divers who posted reports in March advising others to save their air. Hopefully, Sunday's conditions spell the beginning of a good new month of saltwater marinating.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]