LA County Announces $205-million Budget Cut

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chamber Day Committee on April 16, 2002 at 22:55:44:

I couldn't help but have a chill run down my back when I read today that the County of Los Angeles is enacting a $205-million budget reduction. Many of the cuts are coming in what are termed "service" areas of the overall County budget. And, of course, one of my first thoughts was, "How will this affect our Chamber?"

Now the good news is, at least as far as I know, that - at least for the moment - our Chamber's not on the hit list. However, I can't help but fear that something like our Chamber, hidden away on an island, with a limited constituency, and without powerful lobbyists walking the County Hall of Administration, might make a tempting political target during future rounds of cuts. And that fear is part of what fuels Chamber Day.

It's imperative for you to understand that a fundraising drive like this serves not only to provide a financial footing for the present, but also seeks build a reserve to guard against future financial threats. It's easy to sit back and think that the Chamber's doing okay, Chamber Day & Eve have been a success in the past, so what's the big deal? But as Dr. George Fishbeck was always fond of saying, "No man can predict the future." And I'd hate to think that our complacency today threatens our well-being tomorrow.

I hope you'll join me and hundreds of your fellow divers (and even non-diving friends of divers) in supporting our Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber on May 1 for the annual Chamber Day and Chamber Evening events. Come on a boat, make a donation to the Jon hardy Chamber Challenge, join us for Chamber Evening at the Aquarium of the Pacific, or do a combination of events. Last year, we were able to raise just over $80,000 for our Chamber. This year we hope to do better - but we need your help and active participation.

Make a commitment to support our Chamber. It's something we all hope we never need to use but is truly something that will make a difference in our quality of life should the need ever arise for us or our friends. Call us at 310/652-4990 or go to "www.chamberday.org" and make a difference.

Ken Kurtis
Chairman, Chamber Day/Eve 2002

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]