Re: weight belts - good or bad

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on May 12, 2002 at 21:43:41:

In Reply to: weight belts - good or bad posted by Julian Clarke on May 12, 2002 at 08:12:56:

I started with a weight belt, then went to a weight integrated BC, and now I am going back to a weight belt.
The reason is because I see a danger in having all your eggs in one basket, (or in one BC).
Let say you are using a weight integrated system and become hoplessly intangled in fishing line on a reef up on the north coast. Let's say this line is the real heavy stuff, 80 lb. test and somehow you got it all wrapped up around your valve and absolutely cannot free yourself . If you remove your BC with all the weights in it which direction does the BC go? and which direction do you go in? What if you are in 100 ft. of water. With a weight belt you can remove your BC while you remain neutral (or heavy) snip yourself free and re-don your rig without rocketing to the top.
One type of belt (IMO) that you should never wear while scuba diving is the rubber type due to ripping and loosing it. This type is better suited to freediving. I always use the heavy nylon webbing type. It is also a good idea to use a good quality buckle for safety.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]