re: drysuit care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on May 17, 2002 at 10:42:20:

In Reply to: Re: The Math posted by Chuck Tribolet on May 17, 2002 at 09:58:29:

I have been very careful with my drysuit. And I dont mind spending money to keep it in good repair. I would normally put in a plug for it by its brand name.

Its an expensive suit, however, and the nature of the original question was regarding the affordability of wetsuits, semidrys, and drysuits. So my suit would not be relevant to that issue.

I know you can get good drysuits for as little as $500 if you time the purchase right, brand new, right out of the box, and if it fits.

Granted, if you go the special order route with the delux woolies, then yes, you might spend around $2000+ .

And in addition if you treat the suit with neglect then you are going to have major repair costs pretty often.

My suit cost me $1500 and I have two different sets of woolies, one for NDL shallow diving and another for deep tech, that cost me about $500 each, for a total outlay of $2500. I have had it for 8 mos and it has required zero repairs in that time, although I do have a bike tire repair kit in my save a dive kit, in case I puncture it.

So far, the zipper and the seals are all looking great. I wax the zipper every day that I use it. And Im really careful with the seals.

The book that came with the suit said to rinse it soon after diving, and dry it inside and out, and keep the zipper open all the time when not diving, and wax it before use, and be careful not to pinch or snap the seals in transit or in storage, and keep it away from sunlight when drying or hanging.

I have found that the best way to rinse it is to hang it upside down with the boots curled around the shower spigot and the zipper closed, rinsing it with a shower hose attachment and warm water. The inside will steam up, and needs to be wiped dry then. The outside dries nicely draped over a towell across the shower curtain pole, inverting the suit after a day, and turning it inside out after another day. That way it dries completely.

I now believe that wetsuits work well in Florida and Hawaii but not in California anywhere. And there is no reason why you cant bring and wear your drysuit to Florida and Hawaii as well, just with significantly less insulation underneath, like long johns is all.

When you wear a drysuit to dive it enhances the experience for you by keeping you warm. And its great that way!

If youre only going to dive one shallow dive, then a wetsuit is probably fine for Northern or Southern California or Florida or Hawaii. Otherwise the odds are good youll get cold in a wetsuit for diving. Why endure cold when you dont have to?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]