Please help resolve conflict regarding La Jannelle/Port Hueneme

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ed on May 23, 2002 at 13:37:27:

Well... That's one area that I have never had the opportunity to dive.
I do quite a bit of diving at Anacapa, Santa Cruz, and Catalina, and most of my shore dives are in Southern Ventura County, and Northern Los Angeles County, such as Leo Carillo, Deer Creek, Corral beach, El Matador, etc.

I have always wanted to give La Janelle/Silver strand a try, but haven't gotton a chance (often head the other way). I seem to be getting quite a few conflicting feedbacks from those who have dove there. Some say that it is a 'boring' dive, as it is a sloping sand bottom, poor visibility, with little or no kelp, very little (if any) fish life, and good population of Pismo Clams (the clams are the only 'agreeing' of the 2 sides). Others say that the visibility is great (as I would think, since it's near a submarine canyon with deep waters), good amount of kelp, some rocks, and good, healthy fish population. I am confused....

Know the questions....

1. What is the diving like there?
2. What can I expect to see as far as fish, kelp, bottom?
3. How about the visibility?
4. Currents? (I would imagine moderate to strong)
5. Also, what would be the safest way to enter the water? Should I enter at the sand/surf and swim out to the edge of the canyon, or am I better off walking on the jetty and jumping in from there?
6. Last, but not least, is the La Jannelle wreck the actual breakwall? If so, does it look like a wreck under water, or just a rusty rock jumbled mess? (no seperate wreck, correct?).

Thanks for your input(s).

Ed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]