Why some of us reply to a post that seems nonsensical

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on May 28, 2002 at 09:48:10:

At the risk of this seeming totally self-serving, I'm taking the liberty of re-copying this post I made on Friday which, with it's distance down the page and the Memeorial Day weekend, may have gone unnoticed.

But hopefully it points out to some if you who wonbder why some people post, why we do what we do. (This was in the thread started by tec_diver about the validityof the PADI RDP tables and his accusation that there was a data cover-up going on.)

- Ken
--------------------
Posted by Ken Kurtis on May 24, 2002 at 12:48:50:

In Reply to: Re: Excellent summary posted by TDI_2 on May 23, 2002 at 16:21:31:

TDI_2 wrote: "I cant believe Kendall invested any of his valuable time in this paper tiger issue. I also cant believe Ken took the trouble to comment as well. There will always be geeks of all ages here and there who will flame other people for whatever reason. The most efficient thing to do is IGNOR IT rather than invest valuable personal time in rebuttal."

And my take on this would be that if you truly believe that then:

1. You don't understand the instructional mentality. (And even though Kendall Raine doesn't hold an instructor rating, I'd still put his comments in that vein.)
2. You don't understand the power of the Internet.

One of the reasons I like being an instructor is because I like to pass on my experience, perspective, etc., and challenge you mentally to examine what you believe in and see if it's truly a valid POV. Socratic method and all that good stuff.

By the same token, written words have tremednsous power. The Internet, even our "little" BBS here, is seen worldwide. Bad information presetned as truth (fact) left unchallenged take on the aura of truth, especially when someone can say, "Well, I saw it on the Internet." (And again, BIG difference between challenging bad facts and challenging stupid or wrong-headed opinions.)

Yes, sometimes it does seem like a waste of time to stand up to the dunderheads of cyberspace but if you don't hold them up to the light of day, you merely legitimize the crapola that they peddle.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]