Be very careful...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on May 29, 2002 at 12:03:41:

In Reply to: Tech Diving posted by urchindiver on May 29, 2002 at 10:31:50:

There are many self professed experts who will try to impress you with their knowledge on the internet. Often they are wrong, but forceful in thier views. Since you do not know the source, you can be tricked into believing incorrect information. This happens a lot. Then these wannabe experts all talk to each other and quote each other and after a while they think they have an understanding of "truth" and wisdom. (an excellent example of this happened here recently in the discussions of the PADI RDP)

If you want to know about the technical aspects of diving, I suggest reading books, for starters. Anyone can be "published" on the internet, but it is harder to get published in the printed world. I personally think a good primer to start with is the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving put out by PADI. It covers basic stuff pretty well. Then you need to take your research into specific areas. For example if you want to learn more about decompression issues, mixed gas diving, hyperbaric physiology, etc., you will need to get specific reading material about each of these subjects. Mostly you will not find any single sources for the range of subjects in the detail you will need.

But let me go a bit furter in my recommendations. Book learnign is great, but at some point you will need further instruction. Take classes from knowledgeable instructors. And not just Dive Classes, take courses at the college level. I know that my coursework in Chemistry, Oceanography, Geology, Biology, etc., have made me a better diver and help me to understand the complexities of the technical aspects of diving. Depending on your education history, you might want to take some classes at your local community college. It can be a lot of fun, too. I have taken such courses for the fun of it. Even though they will never count for another degree, the learning is fun.

Another avenue of further education is through volunteer work. Volunteer at a chamber, an aquarium, an environmental group such as Santa Monica Baykeeper, or other place where you will be exposed to further instruction and have access to free classes.

So there you have my suggested course of action.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]