My wife got her wedding ring from a box of Cracker Jacks!

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on June 10, 2002 at 21:15:07:

In Reply to: You could try buying a box of Cracker Jack...PADI C-Card inside posted by ;-) on June 10, 2002 at 11:05:37:

I can tell you that was the most expensive box of candy I have ever seen. I wanted to surprise her. She and I did not think we could afford the ring we both liked. She thought she would get a cheaper one at a later date when we could "afford it". Instead, I got some parental help and got the one she wanted. To add to the surprise, I opened the bottom of the box and cut the prize packet open. I destroyed about 5 boxes before I had the technique perfected. Then I took 2 boxes to her parent's house and we sat and watched TV with her family. All seemed normal until she got tothe prize. What a surprise! It was a marvelous begining.

You probably thought you were being cute and that the CJ Box thing was an insult, but to me there is nothing wrong with Cracker Jacks. I'll go further in this rant. What I think happens is that inexperienced (NEWBIE) divers somehow think that they are cool based on the class they have taken. I can tell you that experience is what makes a C-Card holder into a diver. The brand name on the card is not important. It is the attitude of the diver and a willingness to learn in the water and develop skills and understanding. After you become an experienced diver, you will hopefully gain this understanding. No entry level class will make you an impressive diver. And besides, just who do you want to impress?

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]