DM prices

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on June 26, 2002 at 09:50:28:

In Reply to: Re: Suggestions for Father/Son Novice Dive? posted by Michael B. on June 25, 2002 at 15:31:58:

Gosh, I don't know how much anyone charges. If it were me setting a price, I would contact local stores and see what they would charge and base my prices on that. Last year I was asked to take a person out on a dive boat and the shop that begged me to do it offered $75 and the "free boat trip". So I would have "worked" with the diver from 07:00 when the boat left and done 3 or 4 dives with him, gotten back to the dock at 6:00, spent an hour helping put away rental gear and storing my personal gear for the drive home, then another hour cleaning and putting away my gear. Who knows, I might have made a $25 tip, too. Then my costs would have included lunch and a tip to the boat crew ($30) so I might net $70. So let's see, If I charged by the hour 70/13 = $5.38 per hour worked... Then my professional fees and insurance of about $500 per year... OUCH! I did not take the job, as it would have reminded me what an expensive hobby I have!

Honestly, I do not know what to charge nor do I know what others charge. But whatever they charge, remember this: They do it because they love diving and therefore they will give you a good, safe dive experience. Do not be shy about paying what they ask and more in the form of a tip. They work hard before, during and after the dive. They have years of training and experience that they have put in to get to the point of being your divemaster. They deserve much more than they can charge.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]