Re: ESA's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tribes on July 03, 2002 at 09:12:49:

In Reply to: Re: ESA's posted by Ken Kurtis on July 02, 2002 at 19:06:22:

Ken, there are a number of problems for the instructor in the practical aspect of performing an ESA in the OW. The down line (how much lead will it take to stop a student and instructor ) the regulator in the mouth of the student (can you really see, on a surgie, poor vis day).
Any skill that we learn takes repetition. I don't think that Two or Three ESA's in the pool and then one in the ocean gives enough repetition to learn the skill. Most skills taught in an entry level program are practiced on almost every dive (post certification). ESA and Octo breathing are (hopefully) never practiced again (will the student even remember doing the skill, I don’t, all I remember is the Stop, Drop, Blow, and Go, I didn’t need to do an OW ESA to remember that). Does doing one ESA at the end of a check-out really give a student diver practical experience?
I guess what it comes down to, is the practical experience of doing a ESA in the ocean worth the very real risk of having an accident (is it worth the law suit that follows the accident)? I don’t think so.

Tribes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]