Here we go again...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on July 03, 2002 at 12:23:50:

In Reply to: Re: We have to support our local dive boats. posted by leon on July 03, 2002 at 06:28:11:

The price of everything has gotten out of hand. I'd say go cry in your beer but even that's gotten up to $5 a glass in some places.

I'm not sure where you are shopping, but if you're going to pay $40 for a snorkel and $500 for a tank, you need to have someone pull the "sucker" tag off your forehead. Last time I checked, you could get an AL80 new for around $100. Heck, my entire set of doubles didn't cost $500. Put down the $5 latte and stfu.

Last time I checked I didn't see any dive boat captains sipping champagne and eating caviar while surrounded by a harem of hotties. And I get really tired of having to park next to the owner's Ferrari at the local diveshop. Do you have any idea how much the insurance costs on an Italian sportscar?

And do we really want to start whining about the fines DFAG imposes when you *break the law*. Heck, it's $270 for running a red light up here in the fifth ring. Newsflash... you don't have to pay that if you don't run red lights. I think they should quadruple those and add jail time. Nothing like spending a little time with Bubba to discourage poaching. If you're going to whine about something (and from your posts it seems likely), whine about the confusing regulations, and the fact that DFAG is encouraging the commercial sector to destroy the fisheries.

If you don't like the price, don't go! I for one happen to think that dive boats are a bargain. Compared to the expense of owning my own boat, burning my own fuel, buying my own on-board compressor, supplying a divemaster, cooking my own food, blah blah blah blah blah. For us out-of-towners staying onboard the night before saves a hotel bill, and then there's the added bonus of being able to sleep on the transit out and back in. Round trip to Catalina is $42 on the Express. No food, air, or bunk.

You might want to go try alt.rec.scuba.cheapskate.whiners to find some sympathetic eyes. Those of us who live in the real world don't buy it.

I'd spend a lot more time on boat trips if I lived closer. As it is, the cost of the actual boat trip pales in comparison to the time and financial cost of getting on it.

JRM

-- By any chance are you a teacher, or employed in the education field, possibly as an administrator? I've been dealing a lot with that sector lately, and I find this attitude horrifically entrenched there.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]