Hotsy Totsy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seaunt on July 08, 2002 at 20:04:44:

In Reply to: Re: Various... posted by Ken Kurtis on July 08, 2002 at 19:18:02:

You mention one place and it's not a prime dive location, though I have gotten blasted there. I was thinking more along the lines of Malibu and Orange County which offer vast and varied terrain.
You mention the lessons in control that a diver tends to learn when diving in waves and currents, but discount them. I wouldn't. It is far more than a physical component. It is a component with far more surprises that make a safe diver when things go wrong, even on a boat. Any beach diver can dive a boat, but a boat diver is ill prepared for beach diving and really, a boat diver can dive for a while with no surprises, but that's not true of the beach. A beach diver learns a respect for the ocean that a boat diver very well may never learn until a bit late. Also, waves will teach a great deal about gear management and streamlining.
Would you call your average competent boat diver as good a diver as a competent beach diver?
Besides that I think 99% is a bit high, those are the divers that will not be diving in a couple of years. Divers that are comfortable at the beach, are the divers that will be diving for a while.
Enjoy, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]