San Nicolas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on July 13, 2002 at 11:24:53:

Took the good skiff back to the Island of the Blue Dolphins last wed and spent two nights in beautiful weather. The weather above the water was just perfect, but the water itself left something to be desired....

Low visibility everywhere! The water was 58-59 degrees everywhere and had a green tinge to it as well as debris in the water column. Those conditions make it impossible to get any nice pictures, so i just took in the sights and sounds of the island.

The rookerys are active with the males staking out their territory and their harems. I actually saw one huge male sea lion steal the harem from another. One big male went off and left his girls in a small, huddled group. The other male waddled up the sand dune and herded the females over to the rest of his females. Some of them were reluctant, so he had to make multiple trips to bring them down individually. Eventually, he had both groups in one tight bunch and he, posing tall and proud with his dark silhouette against the sand. The next morning, they were all gone...

The elephants took up their own beach area and were croaking out their calls---all night long...

The front side of the island was like a lonely hearts club. There were no rookerys, only solitare individules wanting to be left alone. There were elephants, seals, and sea lions just laying on the beach by themselves.

I swung into Santa Barbra Island on the way home and the vis was great 30+, with 65 degree water. The bufadora at the south east end of the island was active from a south swell.

Two nights, beautiful weather.

Brad

(loves the sea)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]