Metric vs Imperial

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on July 15, 2002 at 11:38:48:

In Reply to: Then go ahead and convert me posted by Eins on July 13, 2002 at 09:04:04:

Eins, good friend, I'll bet you are a great fussball player. [Sorry about Germany vs Brazil this year, by the way.]

In the USA, us American kids normally get drafted by our schools to play sports. The really big kids end up on the football team. The tall skinny kids play basketball. And the scrawny kids run track or play tennis.

We go to American football camp in summer, play football for our schools in the fall, wrestle in the winter to stay in shape for football next year, and run track in spring, even though we are really big fat athletic guys who have little business on a track team.

Now, herein lies the secret to the matter.

We all know our run times for the 100 yard dash and for the 440 yard distance run. We know it religiously! And 4 laps around the track, which is 4 x 440 yards = 1760 yards in one mile.

Oh yah, I almost forgot, we know our run times for the mile too. That is normally a gruelling event, sort of a bench mark in our lives, as in: "my run time for the mile is X.XX minutes."

With a calculator, most of us can figure out that 1760 yards x 3 = 5280 feet in a mile.

I know it sounds complicated, but you see, it is FOOTBALL that rules the American psyche!

Other than that, you would be exactly right, that metric makes more sense than Imperial!

Hope things are well with you Eins. Thanks for the reply to my original post. Keep diving!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]