Dive Report - Catalina

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eagle Ray on July 16, 2002 at 11:03:56:

Friday (July 12th)

Saw about 5-6 huge Black Sea Bass at Italian Gardens. My first sighting of these awesome fish in twelve years of diving! It was unbelievable!

Second dive was at Torqua Springs, just north of Avalon, where we saw several pregnant female leopard sharks and some harbour seals.

Third dive was at Garibaldi Reef, about a mile south of the Avalon Desalination Plant. Incredible vis and a beautiful reef. We saw about 20-30 more leopards in the shallows. They were all large females that were pregnant. Even while on scuba, they would approach very close when we stayed still and kept our breathing asslowly and quietly as possible. Also saw guitar fish and bat rays in the sandy areas between the reef and the island.

This particular site almost seemed to be a nursery for horn sharks. If I see 2 or 3 on one dive I usually figure that was a good day. We came across literally 30 or more horn sharks at this site. They were all of the place. All juveniles under a foot long. Between the excellent conditions and vis and the abundant life we saw on this reef, this third dive ranked hands-down as one of my most memorable dives ever in California. If not anywhere actually. This site is defintely worth checking out if any of you get the chance. Try to go in July or early August if possible, as I am sure many of these critters will be gone as the summer moves on.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]