I disagree with some of your comments.

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed on July 23, 2002 at 15:41:26:

In Reply to: New dive students buying rather than renting their scuba gear posted by TDI_2 on July 23, 2002 at 10:01:15:

I agree with most of your points, but there are some that I must disagree with.
For example, you had said that "You never really need to own your own tanks. Unless and until you go the technical route."
This is simply NOT true. I do a lot of beach dives, and boat dives, both from my boat, and pay boats. I don't want the hassle of having to go to a rental shop, rent the equipment, use it, and then have to return it the next day. On boat dives, I use my own AL80 tank. For 'average' beach dives, I use my own AL63 (easier to handle/carry).
Also, although I mostly agree that you get what you pay for, there are some notable exceptions. For example, I like the Titan regulators. They are by no means 'pricey' (actually, quite low priced), but they have performed reliably, and have met ALL my air consumption requirements perfectly well.
Most of my diving is done in 70 feet or less depth, and in Southern California, however, on the occasional deep dive (well, deep for me. 132 ft) it has still performed quite well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]