Begg Rock, or Bust

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on July 23, 2002 at 16:17:58:

Last Friday, with the "Sea Divers" we tried to go to Begg Rock. We left promptly at 23:00. The ride out was at best tolerable. I got up at 04:00 to take over from Brett (second Captain) and after only a few miles I knew that we could dive Begg Rock. I turned the boat to San Nick. We arrived at around 07:00. First dive was at Dutch Harbor, and was ok. We started moving up the island in hopes of still making Begg Rock. I called Alan into the wheelhouse, and asked what he thought. I told him that we had another hour of this to make it to Begg, and would probably have to live boat it. He said no. So I pulled in to the nearest kelp bed, in the "Bad Lands" and they had a great dive. Then moved back to the barge wreck (still don't know name) for a dive. Then to the end of the island and stayed at the sand spit for the night. I gambaled on the weather and it paid off.
I told Brett to take the boat out and head to Begg Rock at 04:00, if the swells were big go to SBI and make the decision quickly. Well I woke up to the engines, but quickly fell back to sleep. I could have sworn that we were going to SBI. I got up at 06:30 with Begg Rock in sight. After a little problem with the wind and currents I anchored the boat in 80' of water. We stayed for 2 magnificent dives.
If you have never been to Begg Rock, go. You will need to sign up for many trips to get there, as the weather is such a factor. It is worth it though.

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]