Re: BBS user poll

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on July 23, 2002 at 22:15:10:

In Reply to: BBS user poll posted by Chris on July 23, 2002 at 18:25:21:

I think the "California Only" nature of the board is a definate plus. But that being said, I think that there are times when non-california things are of general interest to California divers. Examples that come to mind are:

Discussions of how things are different in other climes since it is comparing and contrasting our local diving and is therefore insightful.

Local divers posting about their experiences outside of California. Remember seahunts warm water reports? They were interesting to us locals. I also think my posts about taking kids to warm water places and how it differed from kid diving in CA was really interesting (smirk).

Interesting notes of the sea and her creatures such as when Chris has noted information about Monster squi and funny colored lobsters. These are of general interest to the target audience.

I think the rule should be kept, but judiciously applied. I think it would be better to respond that a post is getting close to the line and warn now and then instead of a general deleting policy.

I also suggest that when a post is deleted, a notation be made as to the reason. Instead of just dumping an entire thread with no explanation, it would be beneficial to have some information about what happened and why. If it was for crude language, for example, it would allow the poster to decide if he/she is able to express him/herself in a more appropriate manner and try again. Instead what happens is posters accuse the editors of deleting posts because they disagree with the poster's viewpoints.

As I have said before, I have checked to see if my kids can come to this site with their "parental controls" in place. They can. The "other" board is blocked from them because they do not control the language. I am glad that this resource is available to the young and old, sensitive and thick skinned alike. Keep up the good work Chris.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]