Re: BBS user poll

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CB on July 24, 2002 at 18:50:39:

In Reply to: Re: BBS user poll posted by Kendall Raine on July 24, 2002 at 15:48:28:

Limit the rules? Remember that 10 simple commandments of which to live by became volumes of laws for which we need lawyers to interpret.

There is no way to administer a rule that either allows implied profanity or disallows all implied profanity. If we disallow it, I will be deleting more posts then ever with each new viewer. With each instance we all will have to endure the bellyaching over censorship. If we allow implied profanity then the BBS would be subject to limitless versions of cloaked prof@nity.

Therefore, I cannot harbor the dream to be consistent to the nth degree because from experience as an editor I know it is not possible.

This is not the Autobahn where one can simply abandon limits because they feel they cannot be consistent in enforcing them. One might consider themselves lucky when their post remained when it should have been deleted. Just like not getting a speeding ticket when one was deserved.

You will find many examples in life where the expectation of consistency is not possible. To expect a perfect world here is not reality.

The posting rules serve a purpose and framework for discussion for the board. Without rules, you will have anarchy.

I am not convinced that problem posters on other boards are simply ignored. There may not be responses, but the noise of their postings has to be a distraction.

We are striving for a higher standard here by reducing some of the distractions. It is stretch of the imagination to expect all instances will be addressed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]