Re: I'm in!

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 24, 2002 at 22:45:51:

In Reply to: Re: I'm in! posted by Finfan on July 24, 2002 at 08:28:20:

Ok, great, Let me answer all those in order.

Launching:
Albion - 2 miles south of Vandamme
(high tide only. get a tide book at
a longs drugs or where ever you get your license.) I will probably launch here but my boat only drafts 6" of water and I have the option of rowing it out like a giant drift boat. If your boat drafts a
fair amount of water I would seriously
consider going up to Ft. Bragg. Go 8-10 miles up hwy 1 from Vandamme till you get to hwy 20. Go right on hwy 20 and make a left on
harbor drive (1000 ft. or so. Big stone front real estate office on corner). Follow the signs all the way to the (free) public ramp.

Ab card:
You can get an ab card and licence at the Rite aid in Ft. Bragg or any where on the way up. In Santa Rosa, take the Steele Lane /Guerneville Rd. exit and go Rt. Go all the way to mendocino ave. and you will see a longs drug store there. They have ab cards, tide books, tackle. For salmon you will need a big net at least 18" in smallest diameter, some 2-3 lb lead balls, a sinker release (brass type) and a rotary killer ( 7-9ft leader with a hook and clip to hold the anchovy) Bend the barb down flat with pliers to make it a legal barbless hook. Get the chartruese colored ones. You will troll at 1.9 to 2.5 mph with 30 to 50 pulls of line out on a ocean game rod (Ugly Stick) and you want the worm about 30 -35 ft. down. Line down at about 40-45 degrees. Get a regulation book for all the details.

If you need a dive shop,
go back down steele lane towards the freeway and at the Administration Dr. light take a left then a right onto Armory Dr. go past the A&W and it's on the left. It's called the Pinnacles. Go in there and say hi to Ron.

Mooring:
Vandamme cove is usually glass flat and everybody moores their boats out there without a problem for days at a time. Bring a second anchor to secure the stern so she don't swing around on 'ya when the tide changes. You may want to bring a small $39 cheapo 2 man raft to use as a dingy, thats what I do. Or you can fin out to your boat every morning if you want, then bring it in close to pick everyone up.
But usually on the summer weekends it's a mini boat parking lot. Nobody has ever messed with my boat but I'd lock up your electronics just to keep the honest people honest.

If I don't get any service calls on wednesday I may get up there in the evening myself. Then we can just have ourselves a little lauchin' party on thursday, get a few Abs on the way back, and then grub on 'em at the campsite.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]