Re: A little different Poll

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eins on July 24, 2002 at 23:11:41:

In Reply to: A little different Poll posted by Captain Tim on July 24, 2002 at 22:06:00:

Tim,
Thank you for that question--specifically the second half.

Independently of the Great Escape, whenever there is a problem, there is usually a source for that problem. And just as there are thousands of possible problems, the sources are just as manifold. For example, if we run into engine problems on a trip and have to return, I would possibly blame the owner of the boat for not not doing enough preventive maintenance. If we can't get to a destination because of bad weather, I'd blame you personally ;-) Just kidding. A lack of service, briefing, support or such things can usually be attributed to a certain person who's responsibility it is. If it should prove that the captain had let things go wrong or is covering up, then he's the one to blame. But in most cases, I would say, the majority of the problems coming up are not his fault.

Now the second half of your question: whenever I see a Sport Chalet charter, I try to stay away from it. A few inexperienced divers are IK, you can get away from them. But a whole boatload full of them are too much. Just to have to see divers scraping all existing life off of reefs with their fins, kicking up sand and silt with every kick, messing up visibility that is already limited, that's no fun. I understand that it is a difficult decision for you to consider not taking such charters--your existence might depend on them. I also don't have a solution other than me staying away.

What I do like to go out with are advanced divers, and I usually find them on boats with destinations that require more experience: rigs, pinnacles, outer islands.

Oh, and I'd really like to go out on an open boat that does one day midweek trips. Like the Peace.

HTH,
Arno

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]