Re: Restrictive gate times

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on July 25, 2002 at 18:17:15:

In Reply to: Re: Restrictive gate times posted by Ken Kurtis on July 25, 2002 at 13:11:13:

Thanks for the explanation, Ken.

I understand and respect your policy (same as with nitrox), but I hate to be watching the clock when I'd rather be watching the reef. I find that time flies when I'm underwater and it's easy to lose track of "be-back times" etc. My average dive lasts 50-60 minutes (that 80-minute dive last night was exceptional), so it's easy for me to over-stay my time limit. (I prefer to stay shallower so NDLs are not usually a limiting factor either. Perhaps I should get a smaller tank...)

I've found the short gate times tend to create a bottle-neck that means I sometimes have to wait 10-15 minutes to get off the boat (especially with students ahead of me) and that limits me dive time even further.

Anyway, as I said up front, I respect Reef Seekers' right to make their policies the way they see fit, but it doesn't work so well for me. It's too bad, because you guys run great trips in most other respects (except for the no-nitrox thing...)

Your friend,

Jon

PS When I first started diving 8-9 years ago, four-dive trips were the norm without gate times, be-back times or other restrictions. Now it seems three dives are average on most boats.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]