Vandamme- last update

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on July 28, 2002 at 22:55:54:

Well, 4 more days and no pagers, cell phones, pushy clients, loads of appointments, just pure heaven.
This trip is going to be a dream. No cocky punk lifeguards telling you you can't go in because of your snorkel or some other nonsense. The people are all friendly and consider other divers like family. The whole attitude up north is totally laid back .
The scenery is beautiful with redwood groves and pine trees. Coastal wind beaten cypress daringly lean out over the cliffs in defiance to the elements.
Hopefully the weather will be good, the ocean calm, and no plankton blooms will cloud the waters. We can only hope.

Here are some last minute details that I would like to relay.

Sub Surface Progression ( dive shop in Ft. Bragg ) will be changing their hours for the re-opening of ab season to staying open till 7:00 pm. They can do 20 fills in 15-20 minutes. Fills are $3.00 ...Sounds like a deal to me, but they request that you get in there as early before closing as you can to avoid a jamb-up. They do not have nitrox yet.
Kayak rentals are $30 for 24 hr. period for singles and doubles are $45 -24 hr. time period. They will have a good stock of little trinket stuff (just in case) ab irons, guages, gloves, clips, tubes, game bags, all that stuff.

Again, to find me just look for the "DIVER.NET " sign nailed to the post right in front of my campsite. If I'm not there I will leave a note on the table telling where I am and when I'll be back.
Hang out, grab a beer, throw some wood on the fire.

Friday night is Eric's big fish fry. Fresh caught ling or rock cod and abalone beer battered and deep fried with fresh cut potato fries. I will supply all the beer batter, potatoes, oil, pots. All I (may) need help with is some fish if I cannot manage to spear to many, and depending on how many people show up.

Suturday night will be gourmet night and I plan to make sauteed abalone in an olive oil, garlic, white wine sauce with a hint of basil. I will also make an ortega chili / jack cheese abalone appetizer and a fresh cod ceviche.
Everyone is encouraged to cook up a specialty and then we will have a taste of each others creations. A good wine goes well with this meal.
It is also the "delicacy from the sea " initiation. Sauteed fish eye balls, sea urchin, deep fried sea weed are all regulars at this event. ( If you really don't want to you don't have to, but it is fun). I'll have the camera ready to capture the looks on the faces, then we can post them on the board.
I am also going to bring some crab day nets to get some rock crabs for a crab salad. And then If the salmon are biting that will open up a whole new avenue. Sushi anyone?

If you need any last minute groceries or any camp or personal items there is a Safeway and a Rite Aid in Fort Bragg and also stores in Mendocino and a small grocery store on the south side of the Albion bridge. In short, there are plenty of local services.

So this is it! last post from me.
If you don't go, man are you going to miss out.
But if you can't make it, remember, there's always next year.

See everyone up there.

ES

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]