Don't know the answer but...

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on July 29, 2002 at 15:25:36:

In Reply to: Does anyone know the answer to why no mask? posted by CalDiver on July 29, 2002 at 12:56:55:

When I teach OW, I always require mask on, regulator in for all entries and exits.

And yes, LA County instructors I've worked with (at the 3R's workshops) all insist on snorkel entry due to a strong concern about embolism. I've always thought the same as you - if the student falls or gets knocked over, better to have air than risk choking or aspirating salt water. I would think there would be a greater risk of embolizing while doing a safety stop at 10 - 15 feet, if a big swell came by.

As far as the instructor that Wayne described - he learned an important lesson: be careful what you do in public because others are watching. Sounds to me like he is a loose cannon with a big ego and a small brain. Or maybe he missed a few too many safety stops. Jerks like him are why students don't continue on with diving or ever do beach dives because their experience was so miserable.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]