Dont Ask Dont Tell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TDI_2 on July 30, 2002 at 08:56:48:

In Reply to: Gay divemasters posted by sarge on July 29, 2002 at 22:09:51:

Dont Ask Dont Tell. I believe that the straight community at large is not asking the gay community to do anything other than that, here in California, generally speaking.

In the Deep South or The Midwest or Back East there may different perceptions and issues. California has always been a more accepting and liberal place, for everyone.

A similar standard has always existed among the straight community in discouraging Public Displays of Affection [PDA].

In scuba diving in California, everyone has their inherent risk factors, such as hepititis and AIDS to varying degrees, and therefore there is no reason to view anyone any differently due to orientation in terms of risk. Everyone is equally at risk for everything these days, and thats why we are encouraged to use pocket masks and gloves and similar items in providing CPR & First Aid in scuba situations.

I agree with Ken's view on dive leadership as well. It should be self evident that competence is the critical determining factor in a dive leader, and not orientation or anything else.

I have friends who are gay, and friends who are straight, and friends who are both. Everyone ought to be able to tolerate each other, without having to join another orientation.

Whatever floats your boat.

I hope that answers your question, Sarge.

By the way, if you really are a "sarge" then you better not ask nor tell, or else you could end up with a general court martial, or a convenience of the government discharge at the very least. The Armed Forces have liberalized their regulations, but they are not as liberal as is civilian life in California.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]