Diving Fun

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on August 01, 2002 at 20:40:11:

I have been diving for a long time. I have dived over 4000 dives. I am not bragging, just trying to think of some of the best dives that I have ever done. I have to place "Tanner Banks" at number one. Then Begg Rock, Cortez Banks, Nine Fathoms, Farnsworth Banks, Castle Rock, Eagle Reef, Ship Rock, Bird Rock, and many, many more. My number one island to dive is SBI. When conditions are right, there are reefs, pinnacles, walls, and canyons to dive.
I saw my first BSB at SBI a couple of years ago, and thought I was looking a VW. As I sit here I am trying to think of the most interesting experience that I have had. I guess that would have to be rescues, but I am not talking about that.
I just now thought of it. It is what I call "ordinance reef". The first time I dove this spot was when Roy Kaiser (my old partner) took me here. It seamed to be just like any other place I had dove, but I decided to go in shallow. As I proceeded to go in I noticed that all the rocks were very jagged, and sharp. I kept looking around and noticed that all the rocks were that way. I was very puzzled. Then I noticed many large tubes. I kept looking around. Finally it dawned on me. The tubes were bombs! The reason that the rocks were so jagged was from the bombs. As I looked around I started seeing many brass things. I took some of them back to the boat to check them out. I found timers, counters, and other things. "Ordinance Reef" remains one of the best dives I know. Perhaps it is fun to find old things, or treasure. Many know of this story, many do not. Several year ago a lady told me that the captain of the GE knew of a spot where all one has to do is dump out the bombs and the bugs will just drop out. I told her I wish I knew where this spot was, as I would be the first in the water. I just wonder, if she meant "ordinance reef"?

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]