Best/Worst Stories

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on August 02, 2002 at 11:43:50:

I'm sorry to bring up diving (apologies to the board) but thought I'd give this a shot in hopes we can all go back to peeing in our wetsuits instead of pissing all over each other. (Well, I don't piss in MY wetsuit, but that's another thread all together . . .)

So . . . tell us one of your BEST experiences diving and one of your WORST. For me . . .

BEST:
Two years ago in the Sea of Cortez, we (group of 4) did our first dive at Los Islotes and almost immediately were "adopted" by an adult female sea lion. Not only did she hang with us for 45 minutes, but she demanded our attention by literally blocking our way until we'd pet her (numerous belly rubs) and even allowed me to hang on to her hind flippers and towed me around. When we ended the dive, she stayed by the panga, barking objections all the time, and even followed us back tothe Don Jose, barking "Please come back!!!" Truly magical.

WORST:
Yesterday at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I was doing the Noon presentation/talk in the Tropical exhibit and was using a special mask where the reg snaps into the headpiece (forms an air pocket so we can talk into the mic). I must not have secured/clipped it properly because I got about 2 minutes into the talk, moved my jaw, and the whole thing popped free, which meant I was suddenly breathing water. Nothing like doing a free ascent (10' deep) in front of 50 people to get your heart going!!! Fortunately, I was able to properly hook the mask back up and finished the talk without further incident.

Okay, how about some others????

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]