Re: Beach entry question.....

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Davison on August 08, 2002 at 09:09:25:

In Reply to: Beach entry question..... posted by Starfish [now the one and only :)] on August 07, 2002 at 20:51:45:

Two weeks ago at Leo Carillo (north beach)... building south swells that were easily 4+. We watched a group get washed backup on the beach several times before my buddy and I attempted our seaward assault. We entered quickly with our Force Fins in-hand, moved to waist deep water, donned fins and paddled like crazy on our backs to get past the breakers. The lifeguard on shore kept motioning us to move farther offshore and FASTER! It was rough going. In a wet suit and big beach break I've gone in with fins on and used my backplate, wing, tank like a boogie board laying on it (inflated) to get through the surf zone, ducking under waves on the way out and once out in calmer water donning the unit. The lifeguard at Leo Carillo DIDN't want me to try this method .... in Hawaii or other locations I've just thrown my unit into the water from the ironshore/lava and dived in and donned the unit away from shore. I'd love to see / learn alternate methods for different conditions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]