Re: Big Fish, Little Fish, and Nature Out of Balance (LONG!)

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by msblucow on August 08, 2002 at 12:16:40:

In Reply to: Big Fish, Little Fish, and Nature Out of Balance (LONG!) posted by Eric Frasco on August 06, 2002 at 23:08:00:

Thanks for intelligent and thoughtful post Eric. I agree with you in that the only way to manage our local waters is to go at in a comprehensive, holistic approach. There are many, many factors that go into the success or failure of an ecosystem, some which are only now being understood. Fortunately, we have some examples of Marine Protected areas that have been around for a while to help us. For instance, around Cape Canaveral (sp?), there are has been a de facto marine protected area (set aside for military security) that's been in effect since the 1960's. I don't remember the exact numbers, but there was a marked increase in the numbers and sizes of individual species, as well as an increase in overall biodiversity. Studies also showed that this effect was evident in the areas adjacent to the MPA's as well. There have been other studies, most notably in New Zealand, which has an long running history of marine parks, that echo what has been noted around Cape Canaveral.

That being said, setting aside MPA's isn't the only solution. Without controls on coastal development, sewage treatment, wetlands management, and commercial and recreational fishing (notice I said control, no ban), any plan is more likely to fail. There also needs to be adequate monitoring and enforcement. Which is where we as a dive community can really come in handy. We see, better that anyone I believe (certainly better than commercial or recreational fisherman), the effects of conservation or exploitaion. We can do a lot to help monitor the health of our nearshore waters. And I believe it's our reponsibility to do so.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]