I saw some single Al80s but i don't recall seeing any single 50s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mike on August 16, 2002 at 11:28:30:

In Reply to: I remember a Moody dive ....on the Altantis...do you? posted by Tribes on August 14, 2002 at 09:38:19:

but then i wasn't standing at the gate with the clipboard either. It seemed that about 60-70% of the boat was doubles with iso manifolds (Chris included) and of those, perhaps a good 2/3 - 3/4 were true DIR guys. I heard some of those folks talking funny, almost as if...gasp!..they were breathing that other devil gas; helium. I saw around a half dozen if that (?) divers with single tanks (one of them apparently gave her computer some more deco time than she herself took...any explanations of this forthcoming???). The single-tankers in after me and exited well before. I kept an eye on some of them while i was down there (hey, someone on a single 80 at 140 bears watching). I know there was a big agglomeration of bouncing divers holding onto the anchor line when the majority of the divers were surfacing. That apparently led to some nice little sinus headaches that kept a few from doing a second drop on the Moody. I was watching them from below while doing my own stops at half depth. At least three of the single tank divers did a second dive on the wreck and methinks, but did not bother to confirm, that they were diving air.

As for the rigs, most divers stayed at 60 FSW, on the second cross members. I did see the DIR guys go far below into the gloom, to the point where i couldn't even see the HID beam. I was nearly on top of them (by 80 feet apparently) for much of the dive, and i could see the bubbles and silhouettes of the others at the same depth as myself for the majority of the dive. I started surfacing with them and Chris and we all spent PLENTY of time at 35, 25, 20, 15, 10 and in my case, 9,8,7,6,5,4 FSW coming up; no one really popped up like a cork in this group, not even from 10 feet. From what i observed, the only ones who did the three 'deep' dives /w/in 5 hours were those who had the right gas to do it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]