Re: Thermodynamics and threads and such

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on August 21, 2002 at 09:44:19:

In Reply to: Re: Thermodynamics posted by TDI_2 on August 21, 2002 at 08:35:26:

I was not asleep in class ('cause I snore and would have been caught), but I am at a loss to understand how the hoses loosened up between SoCal and Hawaii. Certainly it was not pressure related since it was no more that a "drive through the mountains" kind of experience for the people and gear. It would not be an obvious heat related problem since the storage temperature would have not varied much between LA, Cargo Compartment, and Hawaii. 20 or 30 degrees of variation is not dramatic enough loosen up the hoses. I would be more likely to believe that they had not been torqued correctly, but rather had been tightened just enough to hold the o-ring in place and not leak, but able to loosen under the torque applied as the regs were coiled and stored in a dive bag. But then why 2 more hoses the next day?

I blame the DM for the next day's problems. If someone came to me and said "Lookie here my hose is loose and I just got it back from servicing.", I would have taken my wrench to all hoses and ensured proper tightening before entering the water. I think the local DM should have done this for you. Loose parts are almost never good and I am glad it all worked out.

One thing for sure, ReefSeekers sure looks like a class act! Too bad they are a long drive away from my neck of the woods. I recently ranted about the benefit of working with good dive shops. Well, here is an example of how it benefits the diver to work with reputable shops. No shop is completely perfect, but when there is a problem, you can certainly tell the benefits of a good one. Kudos to reefseekers.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]