The memory of Norm Hopkins

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Curt Billings on August 21, 2002 at 21:45:54:

Norm Hopkins was the president of the Golden Reef Divers, a dive club based in Glendora, Southern California. I first joined that club in the late '70's and was active with them for a couple of years. I revisited them about 8 years ago. That was when I met and dove with Norm a few times. He was helpful, outgoing, and a fun person to be around. Obviously, these were qualities that made him a good leader and admired president of his diving club. Later Norm's club merged with the Sea Sabers dive club.

As I recall, Norm was always looking for an old anchor.

Recently when I found a very old anchor. I almost immediately remembered Norm and his strong desire to find his own. It made me smile and wonder if he found his yet and the satisfaction he would have if he found one I saw. Norm is gone but his memory is still here, just like an anchor left behind from a ship that has since departed. I am sure he has found his anchor by now.

I hope you all have the opportunity to meet people that will leave an anchor in your memory for a very long time. Remember, people are the real treasures of life.

I have posted this from private email sent to me:

I must report to you that our dear good friend Norm Hopkins was killed in a car accident in the Napa Valley on Sunday. According to Harold Ladd, Norm was driving with Laurel in his pickup, about 50 mph., when he was struck by a vehicle from the opposite side, whose driver had fallen asleep.

Laurel then informed Andy and Flip.

As all of us, I am choked up, and in shock. Norm will be in all of our hearts and memories, for as long as we love diving.

Andy and Harold have informed me of details concerning services for Norm Hopkins, and I will share with you what I have learned:

The Service will be held this Saturday at 3 pm at the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church located at 1415 W. 5th Street in Ontario, CA.

This is near Mountain and 5th, South of the 10 Fwy (exit Fwy 10 at Mountain, go S (=R); will be on right side.

I have been told that Laurel was well enough to be released from the hospital, and that she is currently on her way back down here (Dennis and his wife went up to bring her home).

I trust many of us will be there on Saturday, when we will honor his memory and give comfort to his family.

Best Regards,

Hans Eckert

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]