Re:

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on August 27, 2002 at 20:33:33:

In Reply to: I think the non-ideal change is from a different situation posted by Wayne on August 27, 2002 at 15:52:56:

Interesting. Thanks, Wayne. The issue of different sized bubbles certainly makes sense. It also supports Chris' observation about different rubbers having different compressability factors. As for Rubatex, I have heard for years they made a superior rubber. I've also heard several manufacturers quit using it because of quality control issues. That is, not all Rubatex was created equal. I don't know.

As for the 1/2 coefficient to Boyle values, presumably that too would depend on the type of neoprene being used. Right? Smaller bubbles should last longer, as well, allowing the suit to hold up better. Where does this factor come from? Is it an observed "rule of thumb" or can it be explained more elegantly? Is it constant across pressure range? If true, and linear, I assume whatever additional buoyancy over Boyle values you get deep you also get shallow so that if you're positive at the end of the dive, you'll need a rock twice the size Boyle would have you hold to complete a hang. Does this follow?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]