Re: to be serious

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on September 02, 2002 at 12:59:12:

In Reply to: Re: How do you expect to be taken seriously? posted by finfan on August 30, 2002 at 09:51:23:

I maintain that the recreational anglers removed the broodstock from around Catalina. There are no more old, MATURE fish enywhere. They are all gone and they didn't die due to old age or pollution, they were caught one at a time....

Isolated fish populations are very fragile. I remember back in the mid 70's there was a splendid school of giant mullet hanging around the San Gaberial river. Then someone got the brilliant idea of using a bow and arrow to kill them. Within a matter of months, they were all gone. Here we are 30 years later and they have never reestablished themselves....

I doubt that roskfish from other islands will be swimming over to Catalina to spawn. That is why it is so important to protect certain areas (MPA's), so there will always be a breeding area for the residents to restock the rest of that isolated environment. The reserves need to be big enough so the brood stock doesn't move out and become someone's 25 year old fish taco.

I also maintain that the gillnets and traps are responsible for the depletion at the Cortes. Which incidentally was void of seabass (again) last w/e.

As far as the return of the seabass and halibut being attributed to the restocking effort is concerned, i have my doubts. Don't misunderstand, i believe the OREHP is an incredible example of people working together doing something very real to enhance the fisheries, but the numbers of returned tags don't point to that effort being responsible for the return of the WSB. I have confidence that as time goes on, we will begin to seen the benefits of OREHP in earnest. As for the halibut, i only know of one restocking effort, that being in redondo Beach. I think that the expertese gained from that effort has the potential to benefit the overall populations of halibut, if the effort is ever stepped up.

As far as the lobster at SCI are concerned, that island is fished very agressively by guys that have been doing it for a long time. They are probably keeping the big lobsters in check. As far as what may be preying on the small lobsters, i have no idea.

The reason that i indict recreational and commercial fishing in the decline is first of all, because i simply believe it to be true and secondly, it is the only factor that we can actually controll. Curtailing the take of the resident populations would allow the broodstock to do its thing. The sad truth is, the numbers of broodstock at the islands are so depressed that every individual fish is now an important asset to the overall survival of the specie. Without a series of no-take reserves, the Channel Islands will continue to be pilfered of the vital breeders just as Catalina has been.

Pollution is not going to improve dramatically any time soon, so the best we can hope to do is to stop killing the broodstock.

What about the vital forage that is being extracted from OUR waters. year to date:

Sardine.....51 MILLION lbs.

Squid.......51 MILLION lbs.

Mackeral....3 MILLION lbs.

Anchove.....1.3 MILLION lbs.

How does that compare to the theoretical problems caused by pollution?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]