Re: LOL

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on September 03, 2002 at 13:08:23:

In Reply to: Re: LOL posted by Jason on August 31, 2002 at 01:57:48:

I was only laughing because of the statement about having to ditch the tank full because of rough water and then go and get it. My remarks were focussed on that contingency only. Your point about the synch cord (or other buddy malfunction) was right on.

I agree you should have enough buoyancy to float a full tank. Kayak diving is but one good example of why you would want this, as is Chuck's.

I'm still puzzled as to why you have a rig with 36 lbs of negative buoyancy, however. A single HP 100 shouldn't be more than about 10 lbs negative full and a SS plate is typically 6 plus a 10 lbs attached weight (is this a keel weight on the butt end of the tank with a cam strap?), that's 26 lbs tops and yet you say it's slightly negative with a 36?!. You mentioned a weighted STA, but does that account for the 10 lbs difference? If so, it means only about 30% of your weight is "ditchable". A keel weight isn't a great way to create a ditchable weight, BTW. Are you diving wet? If so, how do you deal with the compression/negative buoyancy at depth if your wing craps out with a full tank?

As for an 18 lbs wing, it actually works quite well with an AL80 and 6 lbs plate. It is the essence of planning. A full tank is -3 plus a -6 plate leaves 9 lbs of positive buoyancy full with an 18. The set-up requires that I use an 8 lbs belt, wet, which means I can ditch the belt and swim up from depth if the wing fails and hover at 35 feet full, or, hover with the belt, empty, at 20. All that plus a very slim profile. The only limitation is I can't keep neutral buoyancy with full tank much below 120 feet. That's not a problem since I use a different rig for that type of diving. It's even better in warm water where wet suit compression is minimal, but it works fine, for me, in Califonia. Some people, like instructors, like to float chest high so they can better count and jabber at their students. That obviously requires more lift than the 18.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]