Best lobster spots?

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on September 15, 2002 at 21:39:33:

Gang,

For lobster season, I notice alot of boats go to San Nicholas Island. All though I have ever seen there is too many sea urchins. Lobster takes have always been lame. I have even managed to go to the boilers and get into the pits themselves where I have heard talls tales of legenday lobsters, but all I got was tossed about like a cheap rag doll.

The Isthmus at Catalina's frontside seems to have at least some lobster to be seen, but the only place I have ever been where lobsters were plentiful is the backside of Santa Cruz's northern area where everyone who went down for the night limited out.

I don't recall much luck at Santa Rosa or San Miguel, but I haven't done hardly any night dives there, and for lobster season I don't really care to dive much during the day, but the captains only allow one dive for the night dives for lobster season, which I fully intend to exploit in a closed circuit rebreather fashion. (ok, I will do one dive, but it will be 2-3 hours long)

I have been to some shallows at the Cortez banks..it was pretty wave swept, but only a few bugs hiding in the eel grass were to be taken by the boat. I haven't dove San Clemete yet....

Aside from the off limits areas of San Nic, what are some of your favorite Channel Islands and areas for lobster?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]