Depends on what the defininition of "IS" is...

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on October 02, 2002 at 09:30:14:

In Reply to: Re: for what it's worth posted by Kendall Raine on October 02, 2002 at 08:13:36:

I did not respond to you earlier post because I saw it as a different use of O2 than I was looking at. I was looking for the prophylactic use of O2 for someone suspected of DCS or at high DCS risk. I read your response as the post-dive use of O2 to reduce N2 gas tension between dives and not as a "preventative treatment" of DCS after a "problem" dive. I totally agree that the precise use of words matters in complex topics, and I agree with you about the use of "mask" and "delay".

In my original post I was looking to see what "official" protocols were current regarding the use of O2 for someone who was potentially bent but asymptomatic, or ambiguously symptomatic. In this case all the usual good things like observation, hydration, rest, etc. might include prophylactic O2. I was wondering what the various "agencies" were saying "officially" about whether this should always include a visit to the chamber as part of the course of treatment which was started with the use of the O2.

That might have already been clear, but I wanted to make sure that it is. Frankly, I think the types of discussions are thought provoking and allow divers to gain more insight into their dive profiles and risk of injury. I think an informed, thinking diver is a safer diver.

But then again, if the chamber treats fewer divers, the county gets less revenue, might we lose the chamber or have to spend more on Chamber day? Hmmm. Oh Nevermind.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]